Essay StatsEssay Stats

  • Posted By: cowen3399
  • Date Posted: 02/23/2011
  • Category: Social Issues
  • Words: 1163
  • Pages: 5
  • Views: 1210
  • Rank: 763

Alcoholism Essay

We have many free term papers, essays, and research papers on Alcoholism Essay. You can browse our entire essay database or use our search engine to locate exactly what you are looking for.

Search

Already a Member?

Alcoholism Essay

What is alcoholism? How does it affect us? Not aware of it, many of us know someone, if not ourselves, who is an alcoholic. Alcoholism is the habitual excessive consumption of alcohol (NIAAA). It is a chronic disease that is often times progressive and fatal. This means that the disease continues over time and that physical, psychological, and emotional changes often occur. These changes cumulate and progress as the drinking continues. Denial becomes an essential part of the disease and a major barrier. Alcoholics often drink to help their problems, but rather, drinking and denial are a major cause of the problems.


Alcoholism is frequently not perceived as being a disease, which are involuntary disabilities. Like other diseases that we can’t manage, alcoholism impairs our control also. Alcoholics don’t have the ability to limit their alcohol use, the quantity consumed, or the consequences in their behavior from drinking (a-a.com). Not only does consuming alcohol affect our behavior, it impairs our physical health, and interpersonal and occupational functioning (NIAAA).


Alcohol affects the body in two ways. The first affect is coming in contact with mouth linings, esophagus, stomach, and intestine. This is where it acts as an annoyance and an anesthesia. The second affect alcohol has on our bodies is that only 20% of the ingested alcohol is absorbed through the stomach, the other 80% is absorbed through the intestinal linings, reaching every cell in the body (a-a.com).


A few of the most common consequences related to consuming alcohol involving the way we think, are automobile accidents, DUI, and DWI. Often times the ones affected most in automobile accidents involving drunk drivers are the people smart enough not to drink and drive. Not only does alcohol affect our bodily functions, it affects our emotions. If a woman is pregnant and ...

Search

Already a Member?

Join Now

  • Instant access to our free essays database
  • Manage your saved papers and more…

More...

Saved Essays

Save it and find them easier later.

    Similar EssaysSimilar Essays

    Alcoholism Essay